Students author their own fiction story and "publish" it!
In Writing Wizards, we foster a love of writing by guiding students to write and publish their own real book! Using novels like Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia as inspiration, each class designs a fantasy world that includes major and minor characters, fantastic settings, an extended backstory and a world of wonder. The authors use artwork and brainstorming to design plot twists and dynamic characters. Teachers guide the students, providing contextual mini-lessons on writing techniques that include the use of appropriate dialogue, detailed descriptions, sensory-rich word choice, and character, plot and theme development. At the end of the course, students publish their first real novel—signed by our Writing Wizards!
See a Sneak Peek of the Writing Wizards curriculum!
In this class your child will:
- Use artwork to create their story setting and protagonist
- Learn about the key components of a story and use a story planner to create their own conflict, climax and resolution
- Learn how to use dialogue in their story
- Learn how to use "gem word" synonyms in their story
- Learn how to "stretch out" a scene in their story
- Learn how to create a "Colorful" main character
- Learn how to edit and revise their story
- "Publish" their story including their cover, illustrations and "About the Author" sheet