BOOKWORMS: THE READING COMPREHENSION CLASS
An engaging way to learn reading comprehension skills!
Bookworms: The Reading Comprehension Class
Using the wonderfully engaging books of famed children’s author Bill Peet, we focus on such reading comprehension skills as context clues, literature themes, author’s message, making predictions, activating background knowledge and making connections in order to boost student reading levels and promote a love of literature. Our “Bookworms” also create projects related to a Bill Peet story of their choice including story maps, screenplays, autobiographies and "Monster stories." Our students invite parents to a “Book Gallery” in the final class to show off their creations.
Note: This class is specifically designed for 3rd-5th grade readers.
- Elementary (Grade 3-5) version available
- 12-hour program (can be offered in a variety of time intervals)
- Bookworms can be implemented as an after-school program, summer camp or in-class project
- Supplies needed include laptop, projector or TV display, poster boards, construction paper, basic art materials
In this class, your child will:
- Learn a variety of reading comprehension skills to boost reading levels.
- Use context clues to understand the meaning of unknown words in a text.
- Make self-text, text-text and text-world connections to events in a story.
- Use predictions to anticipate what will happen next in a story.
- Understand the lesson of a story based on an author's point of view.
- Learn to activate their background knowledge to better understand a story.
- Complete a "Book Gallery" project on a Bill Peet of their choice.
- Present their Book Gallery projects to parents attending the final class celebration.
- 12-hour lesson plan, student worksheets, direct instruction powerpoints, project guides
- One hour teacher training via Skype or GotoMeeting
- Unlimited email correspondence with Right Brain Curriculum as you implement the program
- Marketing e-blasts you can adapt for your center
- Marketing fliers you can adapt for your center
- Our Right Brain Curriculum Implementation Guide and classroom management system
- Run the program as many times as you like for one purchase price
- We provide the trained teacher, curriculum and all materials
- We split the profits from the class with your school or center
- We correspond with parents to introduce our program and curriculum
Bookworms: The Reading Comprehension Class is Copyright©2016 Right Brain Curriculum
Have questions about the Bookworms curriculum?
Email us or call 781-816-0582