YOUR VOICE: PUBLIC SPEAKING FOR KIDS
Public speaking and presenting made fun (not scary)!
Famously, Americans' number one fear is public speaking while death only ranks as number two. This profound fear starts at an early age. In our Public Speaking class, we take the fear out of speaking before an audience by getting kids talking in front a supportive group about things in which they are interested. They write speeches on subjects of their choice and practice delivering them to the assembled students. As the kids practice in this low-pressure environment, they learn skills like standing up tall, using a loud voice and making eye contact. They watch the speeches of public figures and critique what is successful and not so successful. They hold fun and engaging debates in which the students are asked to take a position on given issues such as "Should school have homework?" and "What time should kids go to bed?" If this class is successful, our students won't list public speaking as their #1 fear when they grow up!
See a Sneak Peek of Our Public Speaking Program!
- Give speeches on topics that are important to them
- Learn do's and don'ts in public speaking
- Watch and critique the speeches of historic figures
- Participate in debates on kid-friendly topics
- Help their fellow classmates with their own public-speaking skills
- Give presentations using Powerpoint
- Give presentations using visual aides
- Give a final speech to invited families