Economics, civics and math in a virtual Minecraft World
Students learn math, economics, civics, geometry and technology as they work together to create a city within a virtual Minecraft world. Minecraft is a limitless platform for students to learn academic skills in a highly engaging virtual environment. In this problem-solving class, students design their own house and business as they learn about budgeting, profit and loss and supply and demand. As they serve on a city council, they study how laws are made and work together to create and vote on a city constitution of laws. Students use mathematics and geometry to construct a working urban environment. STEM skills have never been so fun!
Fall Online Class Schedule:
- Programs are 6 weeks long, 90 Minutes each week. (There is also an optional time period each week in which students can work on their houses, businesses and other projects)
- All classes are also recorded so students can view the lesson on their own time if needed.
- Price for a 6 week class (9 total hrs) is $121
- After 6 weeks, students have the option of signing up for another 6 week session to continue their city!
Elementary School Classes
Middle School Classes
Background Info: Powerpoint: Welcome to Our City!
Activity: Let's Plan the Construction of Your House
Skills: Perimeter and Area
City Council Debate & Vote: Voting on the City Name Nominees
Background Info: Powerpoint: "The Basics of Business"
Activity: Continue Constructing Your House, Planning Your Business
Skills: Business Budgeting, Supply & Demand
City Council Debate & Vote: Chopping Down Trees, Land-Buying
Background Info: Powerpoint: "A Constitution Primer"
Activity: Writing Our Constitution, Finishing Our Houses
Skills: Mean, Median and Mode, Critical Thinking and Writing in Creating the Laws of Our Constitutions
City Council Debate & Vote: Will Cars be Allowed?
Background Info: Powerpoint: "What's First?: Planning Our First City Buildings!"
Activity: Creating City Blueprints
Skills: City building budgeting
City Council Debate & Vote: Voting on City Constitution Plans
Background Info: Powerpoint: "Here Comes the Tax Man!: How Taxes Work in a City"
Activity: Finishing Your Business (Get Ready for Your Grand Opening)
Skills: Profit and Loss in Businesses
City Council Debate & Vote: Voting on City Building Blueprints, Voting on Tax Plans
Background Info: Marketing Your Business
Activity: Responding to a Natural Disaster crisis, creating advertisements
Skills: Business marketing, critical thinking, committee teamwork
City Council Vote & Debate: Island Proposals Vote, Crisis Plans
Background Info: Powerpoint: "Let's Go! Transportation Options for Our City"
Activity: Creating Businesses, Responding to the Natural Disaster, Creating TV Commercials
Skills: Multiplication Problems, Calculating Transportation Methods
City Council Vote & Debate: Disaster Plan Voting
Background Info: Powerpoint: "Go West, Young Man: Expansion Options for Our City"
Activity: Creating Expansion Plans, Writing Persuasive Speeches
Skills: Addition and Subtraction Problem-Solving
City Council Vote & Debate: Voting on Transportation Plans
Background Info: Powerpoint: "Car Talk: The Automobile and the City"
Activity: Creating Road Plans
Skills: Measurement and City Grid Planning
City Council Vote & Debate: Voting on Expansion proposals
Background Info: Elections for Mayor
Activity: Campaigns for Mayor
Skills: Critical Thinking on Issue Positions
City Council Vote & Debate: Voting on Highway and Road Plans
Background Info: Powerpoint: Let's Go Green: The Environment and Our City
Activity: Creating Environmental Plans
Skills: Writing Proposals, Concept Analysis, Measurement Problem-Solving
City Council Vote & Debate: Election Voting
Background Info: Powerpont: The Future: Cities in the year 2100
Activity: Wrapping up City Activities
City Council Vote & Debate:
In this class, students will:
- Work with other students to create a virtual city within the Minecraft game
- Use mathematical skills to solve problems related to geometry, money, time, averaging and budgets
- Create their own business within their Minecraft city as they learn about profits, budgeting, marketing, supply and demand and consumer feedback
- Serve on a city council while creating and voting on a city constitution of laws
- Use geometric planning to devise a road system, urban grid and electricity network for their virtual city
- Give a campaign election speech to voters outlining issue positions
- Learn about and make decisions related to urban environmental issues
- Problem-solve with classmates as the city council responds to natural disasters and challenging issues within the city
- See powerpoint lessons on the power plants, elections, city planning, urban history, elections, marketing and business products