THE LEGO CIVICS PROJECT
Social Studies at Its Most Engaging.
The Lego Civics Project
The Lego Civics Project is an on-going social studies projects that we offer in 3rd-5th grade classrooms, supplementing your social studies curricula and allowing your classroom teacher time for prep or meetings. The project can be offered in 90 minute, 2 hour or 3 hour segments and for a total of 6-15 hours.
As our students build a fully-planned and intricately-designed model Lego city, they also learn to govern it. Students study elections, constitutions, the symbols of flags, currency, basic economics, budgets and the environment as they serve on a city council which must make key governing decisions about the city. Students have the opportunity to run for mayor, open their own business, debate city issues and respond to natural disasters and citizen concerns. The Lego Civics Project is an engaging, hands-on way to supplement your school's social studies curriculum.
School-Based Program Details:
- The Lego Civics Project is used with 3rd, 4th or 5th grade classrooms (or combinations of grades). We can spend multiple hours at your school servicing multiple classrooms.
- You design the schedule! Most segments last between 90-120 minutes and total programs are usually between 6-15 hours long over the course of a semester.
- Teachers do not need to attend the program. Instead they can attend teacher meetings while we implement the program. We do ask that an instructional aide attends to help assist but they do not need to do any preparation. We provide all powerpoints, worksheets, legos, materials and lesson plans.
- Our teachers are master's degree holders with at least six years of classroom teaching experience in elementary schools.
In this class, students will:
- Serve on the city council of a fictional town of their own creation
- Learn about constitutions and laws and create a city constitution
- Learn about the meaning of symbols on flags and design their own city flag
- Run for mayor and create a campaign platform stating opinions on each of the campaign issues
- Give a campaign election speech to voters outlining issue positions
- Learn about important civics-related topics such as taxes, immigration and the environment
- Learn about and make decisions related to urban environmental issues
To make a purchase please call 781-816-0582 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have questions about the Lego Civics Project curriculum?
Email us or call 781-816-0582