Students serve as the nation's new EPA Director. Now it's time to save the planet!
In this social studies and critical thinking program, students discover that they have just been named the new Director of the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)! As they are briefed on clean water laws, pollution, car pool lanes, endangered species, overpopulation and other environmental issues, students will begin to prepare a report and presentation to a fictitious president, outlining the EPA's new policy in each area.
Students will consider the best policies for a "green" world in terms of trash collection, recycling, electrical power and pollution. They will also receive "reports from the field," fictitious letters from citizens in which challenging environmental problems are raised for the consideration of the EPA Director (for instance, there is an endangered species living where a $100 million factory is going to be constructed. Should construction be halted?) Our students will be challenged to think critically and creatively in this informative and contemporary class.
- Elementary (Grade 2-5) or Middle School (Grades 6-8) versions available
- 12-hour program (can be offered in a variety of intervals)
- Green Power can be implemented as an after-school program, summer camp or in-class project
- Supplies needed include laptop, projector or TV display, poster boards, construction paper, basic art materials
In this class, students will:
- Serve as the EPA Director for a fictional president and make decisions on key environmental issues
- Learn about the history of pollution, endangered species and recycling in the United States and around the world
- Create an advertising campaign to encourage more drivers to use public transportation
- Create an environmental plan for a city, including garbage, travel, electricity and recycling services
- Learn about the electrical grid and how it delivers energy to homes and businesses
- Devise a personal plan for how they can help the environment in their own life
- Create a presentation to the "president" outlining a plan for the EPA
- Note: Throughout this class we use a fictional president, as opposed to any particular U.S. president
- 12-hour lesson plan, student worksheets, direct instruction powerpoints, project guides
- One hour teacher training via Skype or GotoMeeting
- Unlimited email correspondence with Right Brain Curriculum as you implement the program
- Marketing e-blasts you can adapt for your center
- Marketing fliers you can adapt for your center
- Our Right Brain Curriculum Implementation Guide and classroom management system
- Run the program as many times as you like for one purchase price
- We provide the trained teacher, curriculum and all materials
- We split the profits from the class with your school or center
- We correspond with parents to introduce our program and curriculum
Green Power Copyright©2016 Right Brain Curriculum
Have questions about the Green Power curriculum?
Email us or call 781-816-0582